Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hurricane Gilbert, 1988

I don’t even count Gilbert in the major hurricanes I experienced (Carmen, Alicia, Rita & Ike). Gilbert was a great storm that made many promises but didn’t deliver to be the tyrant that was predicted.

It came into the Gulf and made landfall in Mexico, south of Brownsville, Texas as a Cat 3 storm.

I was 20 years old in September of 1988. I had been married for 4 years and still living in Crosby, Texas. My marriage was not going well but we were trying to work things out but filed for divorce within the year.

My mother was getting re-married and came to visit as the rain started coming in. We never prepared for the storm and got some wind but mostly rain.

My maiden name is Gilbert so I was teased about my family’s turmoil “creating” a storm.

The name was retired so hopefully the Gilbert family turmoil will never create another storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment